(Almost) Fall Garden


It's only 95 degrees today! Glorious.

Here's a start on my Fall Garden. We went to Home Depot, and they had some half-whiskey barrels for only $30. The soil was the expensive part - I filled them with about 90 gallons of potting soil, which is about 3 bags at $10 each. Then I planted them cottage-style, mixing cherry tomatoes, purple basil, corn, and yellow squash, with purple potato vine, tall light pink salvia, pink vinca, and three shades of zinnia (hot pink, white, and orange). This is probably too much.


It's all so gorgeous together and the barrel has plenty of space for the roots to grow, though, so maybe it'll be okay.

Because I'm lazy, I placed the barrels bang next to the porch where I can water them easily and they just may get some run-off from the roof during a rainstorm. I'm thinking of adding a plant hanger just above it to hang my pink geranium once it really starts to cool down...