So, everyone's excited about the DIY holiday idea, and our school is having a cookie exchange tomorrow.
I'm making Sweet Potato Cake with Walnut Streusel, ala Terry and Isa. It's an adaptation of their awesome recipe from their book: Veganomicon (p. 255).
Sweet Potato Cake with Walnut Streusel
1/4 C flour
3 T sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t allspice
2 T veg oil
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C oats
1 (15-ounce) pureed sweet potato
3/4 C soy milk
3/4 C veg oil
1 1/2 C sugar
3 T molasses
2 t vanilla
2 2/3 flour
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon
3/1 t ginger
1/2 t allspice
*all spices are ground, unless otherwise indicated.
Step 1: Assembly
- Pre-head oven to 350F. Spray pan. Assemble all ingredients.
- Start measuring streusel ingredients into small bowl.
- Add wet cake ingredients into large bowl.
- Use your fingers to combine streusel until it looks like crumbs. Set aside.
- Take a big wooden spoon, and combine wet cake ingredients with half of the flour, the baking powder, salt, and spices. Add the other half of the flour, and stir until no huge lumps appear.
- Pour cake batter into greased pan, then sprinkle with streusel.
- Bake anywhere from 50 to 70 minutes.