Oh, how do I love these Javelina Gingerbread Cookies!
You can get a Javelina cookie cutter, with your very own recipe book, at www.rionuevo.com
I found theme an adorable alternative to sugar cookies because (1) they're easy to roll out, (2) they have very few ingredients, all of which I already had in my pantry, and (3) they're cute little piggies (sorry, peccaries)!
Here is the (somewhat adapted) recipe in full, thanks to Nuevo Publishers:
Makes 1 dozen large cookies
1 C molasses*
*tip: oil your measuring cup first then pour in molasses - it will pour out much easier
1/2 C veg shortening
1 1/4 t baking soda
1 egg, beaten
4 C flour
2 t ginger
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1/2 t ancho chile powder
1 t salt
Step 1: Heat
- In pan over medium heat, melt shortening and molasses together, then take off heat.
- Mix in baking soda and egg.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- In bowl, stir flour and spices. Add to pan. Stir well with wooden spoon, and then knead slightly with hands when cool.
- Roll dough out on floured surface. Cut out cookies and place on baking sheet. Set aside extra dough or cookies under cloth so they don't dry out - wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge if baking later.
- Bake cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes, then let sheet cool before baking new batch (I found the snowstorm very helpful in this; I simply set my cookies to cool on the front porch!)