Making Lemons out of Lemonade

So, I'm trying to think of a way to say goodbye to Gallup as we head out to Tucson this summer. And, it makes me think of the old proverb about making something sweet out of something bitter.

What's bitter about leaving Gallup? Besides moving away from friends, my first (real) job at Kennedy Middle School, and our cute Gingerbread House, there's leaving Valentine's dinner at the Ancient Way Cafe, the bus stop where He proposed, and happy neighborhood where my mother lives. All these are landmarks of my life in Gallup the last three years.

But, mostly it's sweet. I know you want to know, so I will say that we both have jobs in Tucson as teachers. We're also in the process of buying a house, with a well-preserved 1950's kitchen and a chicken coop in the back yard. Putting down new roots is an exciting adventure, and I feel lucky that this time I'm not doing it alone.

In my daydreams I think of planting a Mediterranean garden with almond trees blossoming in the spring, figs ripening in the summer, woody pomegranates weighing down the tree in the fall, and tart citrus yellows and oranges in the winter.

So, if you think of me, think of a lemon tree growing straight and tall in the sunshine. I'd like to hope that life is more sweet than bitter, and so mourning our move is a bit like trying to turn lemonade into lemons - there's simply no need.

Thank you to all of you who have befriended me, who have made Gallup my home, and who have at least read my article and said you wanted to make one of my recipes someday. I'll still be blogging at: www.che-gallup.blogspot.com

Comments