So, I've been a sickaboo the last couple of days. Nothing too serious, just enough to keep me on the couch watching Jon and Kate + 8 on Netflix (guilty pleasure).
I was hankering after some hot soup today, and I remembered that my future MIL had gifted me with boxes of matzo ball mix. The dumplings on the box looked a little plain, though, so added some fresh, green spinach for pizzaz.
Without further ado, except to say that I never had a Bubbe but if I did I would hope she would have made me this when I was sick,
Bubbe's (Veggie) Matzo Ball Soup
Step 1: Mix Matzo Balls
- Chop up about 2 C raw spinach coarsely and add to a mixing bowl
- Add 2 eggs, 1/4 C veggie oil, and 1 pouch matzo ball mix ( I used Streit's, but you could probably use about a cup of processed matzo as well)
- Combine ingredients with fork and let sit for 15 minutes
- Bring about 4 C water to boil in medium pot, with 2 cloves sliced garlic, 1 veggie bouillion cube, and 2 bay leaves
- Place a steamer basket in the pot and add more water if the basket seems to sit too high for the matzo balls to sit in the broth
- Add about 1T olive oil to broth to keep dough from sticking
- Wet hand under water, then grab a walnut-sized clump of matzo dough and shape into a ball with hand (water helps the dough not stick to your fingers), then drop into steamer basket
- Repeat until bottom of basket is covered, then put lid on pot and let cook for 30 minutes on low
- Carefully spoon out matzo balls into bowl (about 4-5 per person) and pour some broth around the dumplings. Serve hot and eat with spoon.
- If desired, you can add about 1/2 C black beans (cooked) to the soup, or snip in some parsley at the last minute