Easy Peasy Yogurt Squeezy



Since watching In the Loop, I've become obsessed with a certain phrase that has since popped up more than can be justified in this blog. I could just title this post "Easy Yogurt", but what would be the fun in that?

Anyway, I'm on a DIY kick this month and I spent an hour or so last week making homemade yogurt and sprouts.

Today I'm going to post the results of my yogurt experiment, which far exceeding my expectations for being a snap to put together and tasty to boot.

For reference, I'm including a picture of the full yogurt recipe from a science lab that my friend and co-teacher Katie put together last year.

From a gallon of milk and a carton of plain yogurt I created two four-cup batches of fresh, mild yogurt (exactly what you'd expect if you realized that eight cups = 1 gallon).

I started the first batch late Sunday morning, after visiting our local co-op for supplies and coffee. By dinner time it was ready to sample and deliciously thick and creamy. I started with whole milk, since I wanted the thickest yogurt possible, and Greek style yogurt.

You will notice that I also reused a glass vase from my birthday bouquet. I love fresh flowers but I never quite know what to do with the glass containers they come in afterwards. This one was perfectly shaped to hold and pour four cups of yogurt.

Now that I know how to do it, I can't imagine wanting to pay for store bought yogurt again. The Future Hubs likes to stir maple syrup and walnuts into his, whereas I prefer honey.

Comments