Sad Day for MCM Fans

(Touring the kitchen in April 2009)(Close-up of the original built-ins, painted and with new pulls)

(Me in our tragically gloomy rental kitchen in 2008 - look at the flower wallpaper! There was fake wood paneling behind me)
That day in April 2009 that we first toured our future home I was so enamored with the original built-in cabinetry that I took something like five photographs of the cabinets alone.

The owners of the rental house on the corner have finally kicked out the occupants. It's much quieter now and the 2-3 extra large trucks that were parked there are gone.

On the way to pick up some butter, last Saturday night, I was witness to a private tragedy done to the corner house.

I saw the entire cabinetry pulled out haphazardly onto their front lawn, and a man viciously beating a door. Just to break it. And you can bet none of it will end up in the ReStore, or even reusable at all.

*Sniff*

My friend Nancy suggested that there may have been termites, or the cabinets may have been really dirty. I just think the owners probably have no taste. They'll probably end up replacing it with something horrid, like this:


When they could have just done something cute like this (both photos courtesy of Apartment Therapy):
For more info on Mid-century Modern kitchen reno ideas that don't destroy the original personality of the home, look at:

AT: How to Restore Mid Century Kitchen's Original Glory?

RR: Should Nancy Paint Her Vintage Wood Cabients?

Comments

Tucson Trekker said…
I love your 50's kitchen! It's got a great vibe in it. Many lovely dinner parties to come and relaxed Sunday afternoons. I'm glad you have enough sense to honor good kitchen design.
Thanks, Mom!

I should really be posting pictures of your kitchen cabinets; they turned out awesome!
modernhaus said…
Marbleized faux-Formica countertops and yellow-toned oak Home Depot cabinets...I think these have been outlawed in the European Union.
Glad you like your current kitchen and hope you've got yourself a proper apron now that you're a Mrs. (you know, one that goes well with heels...)
Summer,

Funnily enough, my Mom actually made a couple of aprons for me as a wedding gift!

I love our kitchen and bathroom, which is fortunate. Even poor taste in remodeling is extremely expensive nowadays.