This Friday we're getting estimates on AC installation costs for summer 2011. Woohoo! Here's hoping that 1) It's affordable and 2) They can do it before June.
Here is some helpful info to consider from Apartment Therapy:
A. The goal is to buy an efficient unit that will cool the room using the least amount of electricity.
B. Know what you need. Figure out how many btu's your room requires.
Simplest way to do so is length x width x 35=btu's. Or sq ft x 35.If you have high ceilings, are on a high floor of a bldg, have a kitchen attached to the room you are cooling, or get a lot of sunlight you want to multiply by 45.
Since we are using pre-existing vents, I'm hoping that installation will be pretty straightforward. The questions that I want to ask are:
- How big of a unit do you estimate that we'll need? (BTU's)
- What are the price ranges of Energy Star products that are in that size?
- How much do you estimate installation will cost? How long will it take?
- When is the earliest that schedule our installation?
- What kind of follow-up/maintenance do you offer?