Retro Kitchen Ideas - The Breakfast Nook

Image from the rabbit-hole that is Pinterest

The overall retro inspiration for my kitchen at the Old House is directly from RetroRenovations 1940's kitchen design series, especially #4. The main points include pale yellow cabinets/walls, laminate counter-tops, and a floral wallpaper on bare walls to cozy up the space. Since we already have new-ish laminate flooring in Pergo Tidawater from Lowes, I may just put down Flor tiles on top in a red or a blue gingham. Even though the Old House was built in 1952, it's much more post-war bungalow than mid-century mod.

My mind was blown by Lauryn and Dennis' breakfast nook, because it completely changed my perspective on my own kitchen. The entire time that we lived in the Old House, I struggled with the attached "dining area." It was tiny, open to a very long kitchen layout, and surrounded by awkward doorways. I could not find a way to fit a dining room table and chairs, tv and sideboard while still being able to move around. It was simply not functional. Now I realize that the "dining area" was a "breakfast nook." It was never intended to hold more than a small dinette set. Instead of providing room for a Thanksgiving feast, it really is more modestly concerned with the day-to-day business of getting our family of three their coffee and bowls of porridge.

Dinette can go cheesy 1950's diner pretty quickly, so I want to either A) Coordinate with the counter-tops in the kitchen or B) Go with a neutral grey (like cracked ice laminate). I have enough time to search Craigslist or to put the word out at local antique shops, since a brand-new set can cost upwards of a thousand dollars.

Comments